Voluntary Health Association of India is one of the largest health and development networks in the world. Started in 1970 and based in New Delhi, it is a federation of 27 State Voluntary Health Associations, linking together more than 4500 member institutions and 1,00,000 community health workers across the country. The Government of India recognizes VHAI as an institute of national importance.
VHAI is implementing a comprehensive health promotion and tobacco control programme at the national and state levels across several settings in the country. VHAI is also one of the largest publishing houses among NGOs, with over 1000 titles on health, gender, health promotion, tobacco control and development issues. More information on our activities is available at: www.vhai.org and www.rctfi.org .
For the Tobacco Control division, VHAI and J&K VHADA invite applications for the post of:
Advocacy Officer (Jammu and Kashmir)
- Advocate with higher official in Police, Health, Food and Drugs and Education department for streamline the enforcement of COTPA in entire state.
- Organize meetings and workshops of officials from various departments as and when required.
- Compile and maintain updated database of all important government officials of all concerned departments, and other vital contacts in the state government.
- Meeting with Higher political authorities like CM and other Ministers for advocacy of Tobacco control activities.
- Coordinate with various state governments and other international organization to facilitate them implementation and consultation regarding various health projects.
- Involve in developing various indicators to monitor the performance of the project.
- Provide active assistance to state teams working on various health issues, by offering technical guidance and supervision in consultation with the Project Director.
- Coordinate logistics etc. for workshops and sensitization programmes at state level for key stakeholders and media.
- Any other responsibility as assigned by VHAI or J&K VHADA.
- MSW, MBA or any other degree in Social Science.
- Applicants should have 5 to 10 years experience of working or liaisioning with policymakers in different Government departments/ministries at state level.
- Understand the key tobacco control issues in India along with legal and implementation issues related to the Tobacco Control Act (COTPA) and its provisions.
- Experience of working with the government.
- Computer skills (especially MS Excel) and excellent writing skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English communication essential. Knowledge of Hindi and local language will be an asset;
- Experience of working in the development sector in project management roles.
The remuneration for this position will commensurate with qualifications and experience. The positions will be on contractual basis, renewable each year.
Interested candidates may please email us their applications along with detailed CVs by 15th September 2015
Please note that people retired from J&K Education/Health Department are especially encouraged to apply.